error

Help and information regarding the 10FF website.
Aviate

error

Post by Aviate » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:52 am

Won't be changed
Last edited by Aviate on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bORNZOR

Re: You guys really need to fix the 20 mistakes validator.

Post by bORNZOR » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:30 pm

first of all good job that you get this score even if its not saving for you!

Well one main goal for most typist beside typing fast might be the grind to type fast without making to many mistakes. You need to make a certain line for wrong typed words or you could just skip every word instantly that you dont like! Maintaining a high accuracy is as important as typing with high speed! good luck

Ayasu

Post by Ayasu » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:52 pm

10fastfingers offers no penalty for getting any errors as the word simply does not count instead of negatively impacting your final score so the 20 wrong words limit is something to prevent this from being abused too much.

As bORNZOR has stated accuracy is an important part of typing as well and shouldn't be ignored in favour of speed or else it would lead to bad habits.

Aviate

Post by Aviate » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:45 pm

Won't be changed
Last edited by Aviate on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Linsk

Post by Linsk » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:19 pm

I'm sorry to say that, but 85% is not "good". It's rather below average. There is a consensus on just about every web site dealing with typing, which sets the average accuracy slightly above 90% (around 92% according to Ratatype). Therefore can be considered "good" an accuracy of at least 95%.

Raising the limit to 25-30 wrong words would make this limit obsolete (and anyway there would still be people to find it too restrictive). We understand your frustration but keep in mind that typing is not just about speed.

I see at least another good reason to set a limit: to encourage typists to improve their accuracy and not to rest on their speed (which is worthless if the text is full of mistakes). This limit helps to raise the overall site level, so it's profitable for all.

The good news for you is that getting 152 with 22 wrong words means you can get much higher with better accuracy without needing to type faster.

Aviate

Post by Aviate » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:18 pm

won't be changed
Last edited by Aviate on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vishy

Post by Vishy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:07 am

80% accuracy implies 1 error every 5 words typed, which is certainly not up to par for any type of typing standard. Keeping this in mind, a person typing at 130wpm with 80% accuracy would get ~26 words wrong, meaning that every person you see on the site that logs 130+ manages an accuracy of at least 85%+. Given that you are one of very few people complaining about this limit, it's clear that, as a collective, fast typists have a higher accuracy standard than which you are claiming. Accuracy percentages are incomparable to the educational grading system's percentages, by the way.

Ayasu

Post by Ayasu » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:29 pm

Several points I feel I must make:
  • Vishy's opinion is just as valid as any considering he's well known throughout various typing discords and he managed to improve enough to reach 200 wpm - technically speaking this would make him more experienced in this matter than you
  • I don't think I've ever seen any sub 100 wpm typist get 20+ errors while typing seriously and this rule was never really meant for them in the first place
  • While you say accuracy percentages are comparable to education grading system percentages nobody has ever gotten 60% accuracy on a test (wrong words only) and said "I wasn't very accurate but this is passable", in a real world situation you'd spend more time correcting your words than actually typing if this was the case
  • You haven't really provided anything that supports them as being comparable so I'm forced to believe that they are not through many conversations with other typists about accuracy
  • About the hard words, this applies to other languages such as German or Spanish which contain many words with accents and users can just decide to skip them instead of learning the layout
    A more extreme example would be the current state of the Japanese test as it is heavily inflated, skipping all words and only typing a certain type of word would give you 130-140 wpm without any effort
  • It was never mentioned that you were the only one complaining, just that you are one of the very few complaining (which is true)
I'd like to remind you that 10FF is just one way to measure your typing speed, continuing to build up your inaccuracy will only negatively impact your scores on other sites and prevent you from reaching peak speed. Linsk's post already mentions the reasons why this was implemented so if you have any questions why you should refer to that.
If you are still unsatisfied with your accuracy I would recommend other sites like Typeracer or Typera, the Typegun streaking challenges are very useful for improving accuracy as well.

Linsk

Re: error

Post by Linsk » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:00 am

Or on 10FF, the top 1000 in hardcore mode is also a good choice to work on accuracy. ;)

Aviate

Re: error

Post by Aviate » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:54 am

I don't know about that

- Just because someone types on a keyboard faster than someone doesn't mean their opinion is worthless. There's people who type faster than that, specially on tests that are actual tests with punctuation and sentences. I'm sure they wouldn't say he's not experienced just because he types slower.

- Also his math was wrong, the test was around 87% I can't remember exactly. Which means I missed about one word per row. I wish I could go back and check the missed keystrokes but I can't.

- 152WPM is also in the top like .5 percentile, I don't see how just because someone types faster than that means I'm not experienced.

- I didn't know that about other languages

- I mean how many people care enough to go out of their way to contact the admins on a typing website because a few of their tests aren't saving. Doesn't mean no one else agrees.

- Like I said it's just frustrating, but you guys are the mods so of course it's your call. In my opinion 152 wpm tests with high 80% almost 90% accuracy should save.