Dvorak!

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
emil10

Dvorak!

Post by emil10 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:53 pm

Hey!
Does anyone here use the Dvorak keyboard-layout?
I still haven't seen anybody listing it on their profile. I desided some weeks ago to learn it, and its getting better and better.
Do you have any thoughts about this?

jallis

Re: Dvorak!

Post by jallis » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:29 pm

I'm no expert, but as far as I've read some places, it seems like there's not too big of a difference between QWERTY and Dvorak in terms of speed.. The main thing that makes people so much faster when they switch is that they start typing the proper way, and this is what makes the change. The thing they generally don't think about is that this also happens to the people that start typing proper in the QWERTY layout.
I've heard that there is an ergonomic difference however, and this makes it so that your wrists don't hurt so much after a long typing session. I can't say that this is true, but it seems to be the case since there are so many people listing it as one of the main reasons to switch.

qbZ

Post by qbZ » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:22 pm

<deleted>
Last edited by qbZ on Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

emil10

Post by emil10 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:25 pm

I have now reached my old qwerty-speed, but that probobly because im typing properly now. My actual goal was to learn proper typing with qwerty, but ended up with thinking: if im going to spend time doing this, I could probobly take it all the way, and try dvorak.

About the wrist thing, its really a big difference in how much you type on the home row, and how much you alternate the hands. What it means in speed, I don't know.

esapzai

Post by esapzai » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:45 pm

Dvorak might be better , but its a bit hard to go back if you are already being used to Qwerty.

I think its more about your own flow than keyboard layout.

P.S Sean wrona uses Qwerty

LazyEinstein

Post by LazyEinstein » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:06 pm

I never practiced when I typed in Qwerty but did use proper technique. I was at 45wpm average. With Dvorak after a few months I was at 55wpm average with a max of 65 wpm.

Dvorak ftw :mrgreen: . You don't have dumb symbols like a ";" in the home row

jallis

Post by jallis » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:26 pm

There is one thing I've been wondering about. When you're using Dvorak, isn't it annoying whenever you go to public places where you are going to use a computer? Like, say in school for example. I don't know if any of you guys are in school yet but let's say you're using Dvorak at home, what do you do when you go to school and try to use the computers there? Do you just have to type slowly or is there a way you can change the layout there also? I'm imagining it to be bothering having to change all the time...

YOMURO

Post by YOMURO » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:15 pm

jallis wrote:There is one thing I've been wondering about. When you're using Dvorak, isn't it annoying whenever you go to public places where you are going to use a computer? Like, say in school for example. I don't know if any of you guys are in school yet but let's say you're using Dvorak at home, what do you do when you go to school and try to use the computers there? Do you just have to type slowly or is there a way you can change the layout there also? I'm imagining it to be bothering having to change all the time...

Yeah I wondered about that too, because there might be a way to change the keyboard layout on public computers but you apparently can't change the physical keys positioning... right? So you might have to type real slowly on them (non-Dvorak keyboards), so hmm I think it should be annoying...

docser

Post by docser » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:58 am

It's easy to write on public keyboards with any layout or keyboard if you know typing without seeing them (as the proper way)

Dvorak_Noob

Post by Dvorak_Noob » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:55 am

I switched to dvorak a little over a year ago. It is easier on the wrists I feel but as far as the speed boost...debatable. My biggest problem with it so far, my brain won't fully let go of qwerty. Every now and then on words I haven't encountered in dvorak I type a line of gibberish then realize I have relapsed back to qwerty. Usually happens when I'm trying to type as fast as I can, the muscle memory just reverts back to what it knows. More time and practice I guess.