Foreign language typing for dummies

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
Stephen Athon

Foreign language typing for dummies

Post by Stephen Athon » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:02 am

So, I'm pretty interested in typing in other languages and I have done a bit of it. But I have been skipping the words that have special characters. I'm not sure how to set up my PC to be able to type those characters - any suggestions?

ZappX

Re: Foreign language typing for dummies

Post by ZappX » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:47 pm

You can add and change keyboard languages in your operating system. I don't know what platform you use, but by searching for "changing keyboard language [Your operating system]", you'll find the information you need.

If you are missing keys for the standard foreign keyboard layout or otherwise want to rearrange letters, search for "keyboard layout creator", and download some software to customize your keyboard.

qbZ

Post by qbZ » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:06 pm

<deleted>
Last edited by qbZ on Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Athon

Post by Stephen Athon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:42 am

Thanks for the feedback! I'll thoroughly explore each option when I get a chance.

@ ZappX - seeing your typing stats was one thing that sparked my interest in typing other languages. Very inspiring, sir!

ZappX

Post by ZappX » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:19 am

No problem! Study the different keyboard layouts for the languages you are interested in typing in. Some are similar to the QWERTY standard, while others are very different. For the first group it's often enough to just change keyboard language in the operating system, at least for use at this site and assuming you are typing on a standard QWERTY keyboard. With the second group you'll probably want to customize your keyboard with a keyboard layout program.

At the beginning when getting used to the new letters/special characters it's not unnatural to see a drop in speed from when just skipping words. But with some practice it'll most likely pay off, and you'll see some very nice improvements.

Let us know how it works out, and if you need any additional help!

DutchGreek

Post by DutchGreek » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:28 pm

I've got the same thing as the topic opener. I usually have é and ë for the vowels, but I just can't get it in Greek. I have tried the solutions that you've given but it's just damn hard. I don't understand it. How can I ever manage to be able to use the Greek vowels with an accent aigu... Right now, it's impossible for me to get at least 3 words when typing Greek because nearly every word has an accent aigu in it.

I am also not very smart with this stuff, so if anyone is able to explain me this very well how it works, thank you very much! (or by Personal message is also an option)

Cheers
Thomas

ZappX

Post by ZappX » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:48 pm

@DutchGreek, see answer here: Accent aigu/grave etc. in Greek