Dvorak question

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
overthetop

Dvorak question

Post by overthetop » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:28 am

Hi guys,
This one is for all the dvorak users. My average speed is 57 wpm. There is something that keep bothering me. Which finger to use for the 'L' key (this is 'P' in qwerty) key? Please advise me what is the best to do. Right now I use the right pinky (and I feel good about it for now) for this one, but sometimes I find it really uncomfortable because my hand is going up the homerow. What do you think? Is this going to slow me down once I go at higher speed? Which finger do you use for that key?

Dvorak_Noob

Re: Dvorak question

Post by Dvorak_Noob » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:46 pm

Well I'm no speed demon like some of them you will find on here but I would say go with what feels most comfortable for you, (I use right pinkie.) When I started Dvorak my right hand felt exhausted compared to qwerty, since you use your right roughly 53% compared to left 47%. After a couple weeks however my hand got used to it and it's been smooth sailing since.

overthetop

Post by overthetop » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:17 am

You are a speed demon compared to me :). Thx I really needed that feedback. Can you help me with something? I find typing "people" really difficult. I mean it's easy but I can't type it fast as let say "others" for example. Are you treating these words differently or just try to type them as fast as you can?

Dvorak_Noob

Post by Dvorak_Noob » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:20 pm

People was a little troublesome at first, as well as paper.I kept typing pople or poeple. I just used word pad to practice it, typed it 50+ times until I had the roll "out" instead of "in" combination burned into my brain.

Soner

Post by Soner » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:43 pm

I started using Dvorak last year on December. I always use ring finger for L just as I did before for P when I had been using Qwerty before the switch. I also found "people" quite uncomfortable to type on Qwerty.

overthetop

Post by overthetop » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Guys which hand do you use for the 'space' key? I use the right hand by I think that this is wrong because it's the busier hand. What do you think?

Dvorak_Noob

Post by Dvorak_Noob » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:13 am

Again, personal preference. I've always favored my left hand thumb even when I was still using qwerty. I would assume it wouldn't matter much which thumb you use.

Linkbane

Post by Linkbane » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:01 am

I would strongly recommend the use of only the left thumb. in Dvorak, because your left hand does not move much at all, it can be used for this purpose. The right hand must move much more, and it makes no sense for it to be confined by the spacebar when the left hand can use it also.
Good typing to the other two Dvorak typists on this site. ;)

overthetop

Post by overthetop » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Linkbane wrote:I would strongly recommend the use of only the left thumb. in Dvorak, because your left hand does not move much at all, it can be used for this purpose. The right hand must move much more, and it makes no sense for it to be confined by the spacebar when the left hand can use it also.

Did you adjust yourself of using the left thumb or you used it before you started dvorak?

Linkbane

Post by Linkbane » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:41 pm

overthetop wrote:
Linkbane wrote:I would strongly recommend the use of only the left thumb. in Dvorak, because your left hand does not move much at all, it can be used for this purpose. The right hand must move much more, and it makes no sense for it to be confined by the spacebar when the left hand can use it also.

Did you adjust yourself of using the left thumb or you used it before you started dvorak?

I initially just used whatever was comfortable, but I realized that it was uncomfortable and slower to use the right hand.