one small issue im having with using left shift

Talk about any topics:10FF, typing or whatever.
qbZ

Re: one small issue im having with using left shift

Post by qbZ » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:22 am

<deleted>
Last edited by qbZ on Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

jallis

Post by jallis » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:19 pm

I feel like the odd one out here, haha. The reason behind that is that I always type capital letters with capslock. IMO that works very great, but IDK what you guys may think about that though. If I didn't do that I would probably just use the right shift. Even though it feels like it isn't very reachable it's just something you would have to get used to. Eventually it would feel very natural and it would make your accuracy go up by a lot.(The reason behind this is that you would have a certain possision you put your finger to instead of many, which means it's easier to get the muscle memory.)

Stoner

Post by Stoner » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:46 am

lol. How is the right shift not easily reachable by the right pinky? Pressing "enter" is more of a reach than right shift...

And who specifically types 170-200 with a makeshift layout? I'm not saying it's not possible, but if they're reaching those speeds with an ad hoc approach, i'd say they're succeeding despite this approach and not because of it.

qbZ

Post by qbZ » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:59 pm

<deleted>
Last edited by qbZ on Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soner

Post by Soner » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:48 pm

I actually use the right shift if the key which I want to have capitalized is typed by my left hand. In contrast to that, I use Caps-lock for every key which is typed by my right hand. I think that the caps technique is much more comfortable than the left shift.

Sean Wrona also uses the caps and described it very well: "I really just hit caps lock twice, once before and after the capital letter. It's actually faster for me than holding down and releasing shift AND more accurate. Really, it amounts to the same thing in my view. Pressing a single key (Caps Lock) twice does not exert any more effort than pushing the shift key and later releasing it, which similarly requires two motions."

shayanjameel08

Post by shayanjameel08 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:17 pm

I'm using my desktop pc right now. Anyway, to be specific on what's wrong, my shift key on my Asus Eee laptop is acting strange.

Linkbane

Post by Linkbane » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:10 am

It's considered good technique to use the opposite hand of which you're about to type the capital letter with for the shift. I do this, but recently i started using StickyKeys in competition, which should be even faster than using caps lock. I wonder if Sean has anything to say about that.